Non-profit veterinary organization said that the unknown and fatal canine respiratory illness began in one Western state this summer Dog Respiratory Illness Reported in 14 States.
As of Monday, 07 August, the disease had been reported in 14 states spanning Floria to California and the origin of the mysterious sickness was being investigated by AVMA President Dr. Rena Carlson.
Since mid-August, over 200 cases have been reported in Oregon in veterinarians and animal sanctuary owners. The other 13 states have not yet reported their respective figures. Are you enjoying the Dog Respiratory Illness Reported in 14 States news? Please let us know.
Key Points of Dog Respiratory Illness Reported in 14 States
- Spreading among dogs; cause is unknown.
- Symptoms include coughing, sneezing, nasal, and/or eye discharge.
- Reported in 14 states; closest to Michigan are Indiana and Illinois.
- Urges dog owners to take the illness seriously.
- General practitioner vet recommends acting as if the illness is already present.
- Unprecedented; epidemiologist in New Hampshire investigating for a year.
- Cases in Oregon since August; cause remains unidentified.
- Three forms: mild chronic, chronic pneumonia, acute/paracute infection.
- Acute form the least common but most severe; can lead to death within 24-36 hours.
- Vaccinate dogs against known illnesses.
- Use common sense, avoid indoor places during this time of the year.
- Consider home daycare to minimize exposure.
- Ask dog daycare about any respiratory disease complaints before dropping off your dog.
See the Twitter Post of Merissa Hansen about Dog Respiratory Illness Reported in 14 States
Mysterious and fatal dog respiratory illness now reported in 14 states: See the map.
— Merissa Hansen (@merissahansen17) November 28, 2023
The officials from Oregon Department of Agriculture are working with state and national diagnostic laboratories to identify the causative pathogen.
The association reported, “A suspected virus, which is currently under intense observation by Colorado State University veterinarians, has been linked to cases of severe pneumonia and, unfortunately, led to some deaths.”
AVMA spokesperson Mark Rosati told USA TODAY on Monday that it was not yet clear the exact number of fatality nationwide. Are you enjoying the Dog Respiratory Illness Reported in 14 States news? Please let us know.
Here is where the disease has been reported as well as information about symptoms, treatment and tips for dog owners as the mysterious respiratory illness lingers:
A total of 14 states have reported cases of the respiratory illness in dogs.
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
What type of respiratory illness is it in dogs?
A total of 14 states are reporting an outbreak of canine respiratory illness. The cause is unknown but potentially deadly.
What are the signs of this disease?
This disease is characterized by coughing, breathing difficulty, and general weakness. Are you enjoying the Dog Respiratory Illness Reported in 14 States news? Please let us know.
How is this illness spread?
Its pathogenesis remains to be elucidated but presumed that it could be spread through contact with infected dogs. Don’t forget to visit the latest news at The Best Dog House.
How deadly is this illness?
This illness is potentially deadly. Sometimes, it has even been fatal.
What can I do to make my dog’s life more secure?
At this point, it is advisable to try and limit the contact with the other dogs and see a veterinary doctor in case the dog shows any of the above symptoms.