Are you anxious thinking about how to cut dog nails that are black? The proper technique of trimming your dog’s nails can give you relaxation. Try to train this habit from the child age of your dog.
Tools for trimming dog’s nail
You need some essential tools to trim your dog’s nails. Using these tools you can smoothly complete the nail trimming session.
- A calm room
- Lots of natural light in the room
- Treats for your dog
- Small pair of scissors
- An old towel or blanket
- Cornstarch, styptic powder, baking soda, or benzocaine
- Small dog nail file
- Dog nail clipper or grinder
Before work with something, you need a clear knowledge about the thing. So, if you want to trim your dog’s nails, you need to know the anatomy of his nails first. There are two main parts of a dog’s toenail.
The first one is the nail itself. It grows similarly to human nails. Its outer shell is harder. And the second one is the inner cuticle blood vessel and nerve. This is called quick.
The quick is directly attached to the skin of the dog. But the nail is the extension. It is not directly attached to the skin. That’s why he gets no pain during the trimming of his nails. But by any chance, if you hit the quick, he gets hurt.
Be careful with the touch of the quick. It will save you and your dog from stress.
You trim your dog’s nails for the sake of yourself. Because the nails are trimmed, you can feel safe from scratching. It is like giving your dog a pedicure. There are the easiest steps to trim your dog’s nails.
- First, try to lift your dog’s leg. It is a trial to see how long he can stand based on his paws.
- Don’t lift the leg for a long time. Take a break after some time. He gets relax by doing so.
- Pick your dog’s paw up to see the quick of his nail carefully. So that you can avoid the quick to hit.
- If you can’t see the quick properly, place the clipper at the very edge of the dog’s nail.
- Always hold the trimmer at a degree angle.
- At a time clip only the tip of the nail. Review if you need it.
- Place him before the light. So you can see it easily. Look into the center of the nail. You can find the quick here. Because, at the center of the nail, quick looks like a dark inner circle.
Some tips for using Calming Bites before trimming black dog nails
You can use Calming bites for your dog. It is a natural supplement to calm your dog. Before giving it to your dog, please follow the tips.
- Take your dog for trimming on an empty stomach. Don’t take it with giving him food. Because it works better on an empty stomach.
- It expresses its result in 3 weeks, not immediately. But it works really well.
- Before dose, it to your dog, follow the weight directions on the container.
- The most important thing is, ask your veterinarian before giving him the dose. Because the metabolism of every dog is not the same. Give your dog those things that are suitable for him.
Frequently asked questions
What to do if you cut the quick?
Accidents always happen accidentally. So it is normal that you cut the quick of your dog during the trimming session. What will you do then? There is nothing to worry about.
Very first, apply styptic powder to stop the bleeding. You can use corn starch or flour instead of styptic powder. It’s not so big an issue that you will go to the vet. Just you need to stop the bleeding.
Just give your dog some treats and praises to keep him calm. If your dog feels okay, then continue the trimming process. But if your dog feels pain or not comfortable, then postpone the trimming session for the next day.
What Happens if your Dog’s Nails Grow Too Long?
The most important thing about trimming your dog’s nails is to keep an appropriate length. If you won’t cut the nails timely, several problems may grow up. The problems are:
- Your dog can’t walk and run properly.
- He will hurt if his toes curled under his feet.
- The inability of walking makes pressure on their muscles and the spine. The longer nails are ingrown. And the ingrown nails are very prone to infection.
When Should I be Trimming Black Dog Nails?
Don’t worry about their age. You can trim the nails of your dog when they grow long. When they walk, if their claws click against a hard floor or path, it is time to trim the nail. SO. have yu any connfusion till now how to cut dog nails that are black?
There is another way. Just holding up their paw and try to see. If the nails come down over the pad of the paw, you can trim their nail.
Why is it Important to Cut Up to the Pulp of Black Nails?
The pulp places just before the quick. The quick will continue to grow longer if you only take a minimal amount off the nail. After trimmingdog nails, you want the quick recede. Otherwise, it will difficult to cut the short nail next time.
If you want to encourages the quick to recede, cut a dog’s black nails up to the pulp. It helps your dog to keep good health and avoids painful problems from long nails.
What If I Make the Nails Bleed?
Normally, you cut the quick of your dog during the trimming session. What will you do then? There is nothing to worry about. Because accidents always happen accidentally
Very first, apply styptic powder to stop the bleeding. You can use corn starch or flour instead of styptic powder. Just you need to stop the bleeding.
Give your dog some treats and praises to keep him calm. If your dog feels okay, then continue the trimming process. But if your dog feels pain or not comfortable, then postpone the trimming session for the next day.
Trimming is a hard task. Because we always think about how to cut dog nails that are black? We don’t want to give pain to our dog. Following the steps and tips, you can give this task an easy touch.