Dogs are loved companions, and there playful energy and expressive eyes can be wonderful to capture in art. However, reproducing the subtleties of a dog’s form is not an easy task. Fear not, aspiring artists! This guide will take you through the process of how to draw a dog realistic from simple shapes to the lifelike details.
Key Points of How To Draw A Dog Realistic
- Emphasis on simplicity and enjoyment of the process.
- Derwent’s graphic pencils are recommended, but any graphite pencil set will suffice.
- Specifically using 4 selected pencils for the drawing.
- The importance of focusing on practice and control in the technique.
- Initial outline done using a grid method; detailed reference available on Patreon.
- Sequential use of different pencils for various shading and detailing purposes.
- In-depth guidance on adding features like eyes, nose, ears, and fur texture.
- Explanation of the inkeping technique for fur.
- Common mistakes highlighted: avoiding random strokes forming circular patterns and ensuring proper fading at the ends of each stroke.
- Emphasis on practicing and perfecting the fur drawing technique for realistic results.
- Recommendation for beginners to take a drawing course.
- Introduction to the tutor’s Udemy course with a special discount for new students.
- Encouragement to polish sketching skills and take advantage of learning opportunities.
- Step-by-step process for drawing eyes, including using different pencils for layers.
- Adding highlights, reflections, and using a Mono zero eraser for finer details.
- Detailed steps for drawing the nose and mouth, including layering and shading.
- Use of a jelly roll pen for nose texture and creating realistic highlights.
- Simplified shading for the neck area, emphasizing one-directional strokes.
- Adding shadows and highlights to create a realistic fur texture.
- Detailed explanation of drawing whiskers using inkeping technique.
- Proper thickness and spacing for realistic whiskers.
- Mention of the availability of the real-time video on Patreon.
- Encouragement to share progress on Instagram for feedback and improvement.
- Completion of the hyperrealistic dog drawing.
- Encouragement to enjoy the process and learn from the tutorial.
- Invitation to visit the Patreon profile for additional resources and tutorials.
Gather Your Supplies
- Various hardness pencils (HB, 2B, 4B)
- Blending stump or paper towel
- Drawing paper
- Reference photo (optional). Are you enjoying the how to draw a dog realistic news? Please let us know.
Step 1: Laying the Foundation
Start with basic shapes. Make ovals and circles slightly for the head, body, legs, and paws of the puppy. At this point, do not pay attention to detail; capture the general proportion and pose of the dog.
Refine the shapes. Refine the basic shapes with your reference photo or knowledge of the dog anatomy. Note the subtlest curves of the head, body musculature, and tapering of the limbs.
Mark key features. Simply draw the eyes, nose, mouth and ears with very light lines.
Step 2: Adding Dimension
Shade and define. Shade the darker areas of the fur with a 2B or 4B pencil, near the eyes, muzzle, paws etc. Lighter strokes can be applied for the fur rest of the body.
Build texture. Change the pressure of the pencil and direction of the stroke in order to imitate the texture of fur. Use short, sharp strokes in areas of short fur and longer flowing strokes in areas of long fur.
Highlight and refine. To add highlights and define details such as whiskers, eyebrows, and the shininess of the eyes, use a sharp HB pencil. Mix the shading with blending stump or a paper towel to get a smooth finish. Are you enjoying the how to draw a dog realistic news? Please let us know.
Step 3: Bringing Your Drawing to Life
Ears and tail. Focus on the shape and alignment of the ears and tail, subtly shade for volume and texture.
Eyes. It is essential to capture the soul behind the eyes through careful eye expression. Make iris, pupil and surrounding fur using different pencil strokes.
Nose and mouth. Distinct shades for the nose wetness, the texture of the mouth and tongue.
Final touches. Clean up any unwanted lines and fine-tune any additional necessary details.
- Use an accurate reference photo with proportions and details.
- Always begin with light strokes, then add darker ones.
- Consider the direction of fur growth.
- Vary in pencil types and textures.
- Do not be hesitant, try and have fun! Are you enjoying the how to draw a dog realistic news? Please let us know.
There are many online resources where one can find tutorials on step-by-step drawing of dogs.
Proko – Drawing a Dog: https://www.proko.com/
New Masters Academy – How to Draw a Dog: https://www.nma.art/courses/drawing-foundation-i/
DrawingTutorials101 – Dog Drawing Tutorial: https://www.drawingtutorials101.com/
Drawing books: Several books guide on how to draw real animals, for instance:
“Drawing Dogs: William F. Powell, The Artistic Guide to Drawing and Painting Dogs in All Breeds and Poses.
Kimon nicolaides, the natural way to draw animals.
“Drawing and Painting Animals: Juliette Aristides, An Artist’s Guide to Inspiration, Techniques, and Masterpieces”
Drawing classes: You should seek to learn from an artist in a drawing class or workshop.
With commitment and diligence, you will be able to depict your dog’s charming personalities on paper. Therefore, you should have your pencils ready to go, unleash your creativity, and let the dog art gush.